Saturday, February 24, 2018

How This Former Rich Businesswoman Who Supported 1986 EDSA People Power Became a Beggar

I was not yet born when the late President Ferdinand Marcos was ousted in 1986 via the EDSA People Power Revolution. And although it was taught to us in school via textbooks, I still wonder what really happened that time, especially to those who supported it. Luckily, I met an old lady beggar who shared her personal experience with me.

Just call her Aling Rosing, a former neighbor of my classmate back in high school, Celeste. According to Celeste, Aling Rosing used to be a real estate agent and was making a lot of money back then. Aling Rosing was once a familiar name in Quezon City hall, because of her “connections,” and was also selling jewelries to the employees.

However, Celeste told me that Aling Rosing is now begging for money for her daily needs. When I asked what happened to her, she said it would be better if I personally ask her. So last week, we went to Novaliches and found Aling Rosing. After we gave her food and some money, she agreed to share her story provided that I will not show her face.

At first, Aling Rosing seems to be confused where to start, so I ask her first if she has a family or children. She said, “None” because she was then very busy in her work and businesses. She said she has one older brother who passed away several years ago, and his only child is now living in Canada. So I said, “Why not ask help from him?”

Loading...


Aling Rosing then started to cry, so I said it’s Okay if she is not comfortable sharing her story to me. But after wiping her tears, she said she will feel better if she can share it with someone she trusts. She then started talking how much she used to support the late President Corazon “Cory” Aquino, and hated the late President Ferdinand Marcos.

“Ang Kuya ko kasi tsaka asawa niya, magnobyo pa lang sila, sumasali na sa mga protesta laban kay Marcos nung late 70s, habang ako ay high school pa lang noon. Di naman kami masyado mahirap, average lang kumbaga. Tatay ko, trabahador sa pabrika. Si Nanay naman, nananahi ng mga damit ng pambata.” Aling Rosing told me.

(My older brother and his then-girlfriend used to join protest against Marcos, while I was in high school. We were not really poor, just average. My father was a factory worker, and my mother used to sew children’s clothes.)

“Isang araw, nalaman ko na lang, may dumukot daw kay Kuya at di na siya nakita uli. Sa takot ng nobya niya na buntis na noon, lumayo siya hanggang nakapag-asawa ng Canadian. Ni minsan, di ko nakita yung pamangkin ko. Kasalanan ko din naman. Galit sa akin nanay niya kasi pinaghihiwalay ko sila ng Kuya ko. Siya kasi nag-udyok sa Kuya ko na sumali sa mga protesta.” She added.

(One day, I learned that my brother was abducted and was never seen again. And because his girlfriend got scared and was pregnant that time, she went away and eventually married a Canadian. I never saw my nephew. It’s my fault anyway. His mother is mad at me because I tried to separate them. She encouraged my brother to join the protests.)



According to Aling Rosing, she took up a business course in college but only for a year because her father got sick, and had to stop working. She then learned to how to be a real estate agent, and made the most of it. And when Cory Aquino ran for president, she joined a support group and donated thousands of pesos for her campaign.

Aling Rosing said that during the 4-day EDSA People Power 1, she bought tons of food packages and went to EDSA to give all of them to the people. Looking back, she said she has no regrets helping them. However, she said that ousting Marcos was not really the solution to end corruption, and that Cory Aquino was not really a good president.

“Talamak ang corruption sa QC city hall. Alam ko, marami akong binayaran doon para mas mabilis ang process ng mga papeles ng mga kliyente ko. Kaso naawa ako sa iba, sabi ko, ‘Ayoko na.’ Akala ko pag nakaupo na si Cory, mawawala na corruption. Nagkamali ako, imbes na mawala, mag naging grabe pa.” Aling Rosing said further.

(There’s huge corruption in the QC city hall. I know, I paid a lot of them so that the processing of papers for my clients will be faster. But then, I pity the others, so I stopped. I thought that when Cory won, corruption will end. I was wrong. It even got worst.)

Loading...


Aling Rosing recalled that the newly appointed officers in QC city hall during Cory’s first year in office were good. But because the corruption was so rampant, the officers could not control them, and even tolerated them. She said that the former employees were contented with how much she gives, and were not as greedy as the new ones.

Aling Rosing said that when she refused to give the amount of money they demanded, her papers were not processed, and her clients got mad at her. In fact, one of them filed an estafa case against her. She said the some city hall employees joined forces to help the client, so that her reputation as a real estate agent will be destroyed.

To avoid being sent to prison, Aling Rosing said she agreed to pay for the million-peso settlement, and had to sell all her properties. Most of her friends avoided her when they learned that she was involved in corruption. She got depressed, and even attempted to commit suicide once. She lost everything, and has been a street dweller for five years.

Contributed by Cherry Luz Alcantara

No comments:

Post a Comment