Friday, December 1, 2017

New CBCP President Romulo Valles Supports RevGov, But With Reservations

Starting today, Friday, December 1, 2017, Davao Archbishop Romulo Valles is officially the new president of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP). On his first day, Valles shared his personal views on certain social issues such as EJKs (extra-judicial killings) and RevGov (revolutionary government).



“First of all, I condemn all forms of violence, including extra-judicial killings. But I am not accusing the government for its existence. I trust the president (Duterte) because I have known him personally for decades. As I have said before, I did not have major issues against him when he was still the mayor of Davao City.” Valles told reporters on Friday.

“But again, let me be clear. I am his friend and enemy as well. I will support his actions if they are for the betterment of the people, but will give him advice if I have doubts.” He added. It can be recalled that back in December 2015, then-presidential aspirant Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte said that Valles advised him not to curse in his speeches.

"I am happy that he came to us, it is good, he explained, and I understand his point. Who among us cannot commit a sin)?" Valles said at that time. That time, he had a ‘long-hour’ meeting with Duterte at the Archbishop's Palace. The latter apologized for “cursing” at Pope Francis, saying that he will pay P1,000 for every expletive he says in public.

Must Read: * 5 Major Changes in CBCP Under New CBCP President Romulo Valles That Many Filipinos Will Love

Meanwhile, the new CBCP president was also asked about his stand on RevGov, which many Duterte supporters are requesting to President Duterte to declare. As response, Valles said that he is supporting RevGov, but emphasized that he has some reservations. As a leader, he said he should prioritize the benefit of the people, even the non-Catholics.



“We made mistakes in the past, and we do not want to commit the same mistakes again. If there will be a strong call for revolution government, I will talk to all parties involved before I decide if I will support it or not. If politics is involved, I will not participate. But if the revolution is peaceful and for the safety of the public, then I will definitely support it.” Valles said.

Contributed by Salvi Dalida

No comments:

Post a Comment